Hello World!

Filed under: , , , by: PritinTheGreat

Well, it could probably not get any more auspicious than to start with the highly acclaimed "Hello World" statement.

As the "About Me" box rightly states, my name is Pritin Tyagaraj, and I'm doing my undergraduate course in Computer Science at SRM University, India (which, to my utter surprise, is India's best private college, according to the Times Of India ; but that's an entirely different issue).

I have always been fond of computers and programming, but have taken to it seriously only recently. At first I tried my hands at Java. Something seemed wrong. Not that Java is in any way less equipped or worse than any .NET language; it's just that I wasn't having fun with it. At times I've blamed it's recommended variable name notations, and at others, it's IDE ; neither of which make any sense at all.

Desparately looking for alternatives, I came wandering over to Microsoft's .NET . I had found my home! (Or is it my to-be office?) Something seemed right about .NET. I've always enjoyed programming for fun with .NET. It was boring in C, and something I didn't have time to try in Java, but .NET had it's way for me.

I don't always prefer studying directly from any book. I'd rather play around with a new language by myself, before even getting started at learning it formally. At first I played a lot with VB.NET, because I had heard it was easy. But then misled by popular incorrect biased opinions against VB as a choice of language, I migrated to C#.

It has not even been a year since I first got to .NET, and I haven't really had any formal training, so I obviously don't know much. I intend to use this blog to share with you what I learn ; as I learn.

So sit tight and get ready to Live and Love .NET !

7 comments:

On March 31, 2009 at 11:55 AM , Rajeev Mahadevan said...

Yep,lets all live and love .net. [and java]

 
On March 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM , PritinTheGreat said...

Oh sure. No grudge against Java!

 
On April 5, 2009 at 3:18 AM , Piyush said...

TIOBE.com TOP 5 List of most popular languages (March 2009):
1.Java (19%)
2. C (15%)
3. C++ (10%)
4. PHP (9%)
5. VB (8%)

 
On April 5, 2009 at 8:31 AM , Salil Pant said...

good and bad

 
On April 9, 2009 at 5:01 AM , reetam4u said...

well it is obvious that java is the most popular language as far as the results posted by TIOBE.com are to be considered....so I believe the coffee cup is getting hotter by the day(ps:.net is not platform independent)..its not that i've some personal grudge against .net but i would probably choose java over .net as a programmer.....

 
On April 9, 2009 at 5:45 AM , PritinTheGreat said...

Well, reetam. As far as how hot the coffee cup is, it's an issue yet to be settled. However, you said that .NET is not platform independent, which is incorrect. Theoretically, .NET is 100% platform independent ; just like Java. However,frameworks are yet to be prepared by Microsoft for non-Windows environments.

 
On April 13, 2009 at 9:43 AM , Prasanth said...

the main reason for preferring managed applications like JAVA and .NET is for Rapid Application Development(RAD) and for platform independencies.
both JAVA and .NET are good for RAD.

my openion:
.NET supports a very large number of languages(100+) while JVM supports mostly JAVA(the core lang) with some additional languages like "Ruby" , "Python" , "Scala" etc...
language inter-operablity is really good in .NET compared JAVA platform.

but all this is only in windows platforms and also with higher resource(mem & CPU) requirements than JAVA.
currently only language that is properly supported by .NET in a non windows platform is C#(the choice of lang for .NET framework)

since .NET still hasn't proved it's efficiency yet in non-windows platform it can still be only at a 50% or lesser level when compared to JAVA.

and try some performance tests with threads , function calls etc(this part is more important to consider than simple loops).

and U still can't match these performance numbers with C++.

every lang has it's own specialization, the choice of lang must be based on the task to be done and where is it done. so "C#" is not an emperor of programming languages.

@VooDoo:"This is the reason why i stopped studying C# and VC++"

"JAVA's popularity started only coz of the Coffee cup"